Do you know what to do if someone has a heart attack?
Sudden Cardiac Arrest is a leading cause of death in Australia.
And alarmingly, you only have a 6% chance of surviving cardiac arrest when outside of hospital.
Every year, more than 25,000 Australians suffer a heart attack within their own communities and workplaces, many of them dying before emergency services arrive.
Automated external defibrillators (AEDs) are battery-powered, portable devices for use in emergencies involving cardiac arrest and can be found in local facilities and public places.
If a defibrillator is used within the first 2-3 minutes of a Sudden Cardiac Arrest, the chance of survival increases to 70%.
Sarah Lance, CEO of St John Ambulance NSW said, “We know that quick bystander intervention can improve cardiac arrest survival rates.
“Defibrillators should be considered a necessity in any workplace so that in the event of an emergency staff can act quickly and with confidence.
“Defibrillators are simple and designed so that anyone can use them – even if you never have before.
“The key is for them to be accessible, checked regularly, and used when needed,” she said.
Residents are encouraged to bookmark this story and share this information with friends and neighbours.
- Mosman Civic Centre customer service reception, 573 Military Road, Spit Junction.
- Mosman Square Seniors Centre, Mosman Square next to Mosman Civic Centre
- Barry O’Keefe Library, Library Walk, 605 Military Rd.
- Mosman Art Gallery, 1 Art Gallery Way.
- Marie Bashir Mosman Sports Centre, Cross Street.
- Mosman Council Depot, 179-185 Cowles Rd.
- Warringah Bowls Club, 74-82 Bradleys Head Rd.
- Mosman Rowers, Centenary Drive, Mosman Bay.
- Mosman Croquet Club, 2c Alexander Ave.
- Fitness First Mosman, 555 Military Rd.
- Orangetheory Fitness, 640 Military Rd.
- Vision Personal Training, 928 Military Rd.
- Richardson and Wrench, 646 Military Rd.
- Balmoral Beach Club, The Esplanade.
- Balmoral Oval Pavilion, south end of The Esplanade.
- Balmoral Baths amenities block, south end of The Esplanade.
- Balmoral Tramshed amenities block, The Esplanade.
- Rosherville Reserve / Chinamans Beach amenity block.
- Middle Head Oval amenities block, Middle Head Road.
- Rawson Oval Pavilion, Cross Street.
- Allan Border Oval Pavilion grandstand, Myahgah Road.
- Mosman Public School, Belmont Rd
- Taronga Zoo, two locations at Bradleys Head Rd.
- Mosman RSL, 719 Military Rd.
- The Fernery, 719 Military Rd.
- North Sydney Council Chambers, Customer Service Centre, Miller St.
- Stanton Library, Miller St North Sydney
- North Sydney Council, Wylie Wing, Miller St.
- Harbour Federation Trust also maintains a defibrillator at the Georges Heights amenities block, Suakin Drive, Headland Park.