Mosman Home Invasion: Terrifying ordeal for local family targeted by thieves as they slept.
By ANNA USHER.
A Mosman family has been subjected to a terrifying home invasion, with burglars entering the family home and stealing thousands of dollars worth of valuables.
Susan May-Raynes, her two children and partner Marty Roberts were asleep in their Wyong Rd residence on September 19, when thieves ransacked the house, stealing money, watches and jewellery.
They also looted the kitchen, taking a briefcase and wallet, before making their escape in Susan’s Range Rover, which had been parked in the driveway.
The experience has left the family shaken and unable to sleep.
“To think that thieves have been inside our home while we were there is absolutely traumatic for us all,” Susan told Mosman Collective.
“My children were fast asleep and they even opened their bedroom doors.
“I can’t bear to think what could have happened if one of us had woken up with thieves inside the house,” she said.
It’s believed the break-and-enter occurred between midnight and 5am, with intruders entering from the side of the house.
“They were clearly very experienced, they knew what they were doing, and obviously they were incredibly quiet during the process,” Susan said.
“My children are aged 11 and 14 - and it’s been a traumatic event that we are still coming to grips with.
“That feeling of violation, knowing that these grubs have opened bedroom doors and watched us sleep, is absolutely sickening.”
Susan said it wasn’t until she woke on the morning of September 20, that she realised what had occurred overnight.
“I got out of bed at 6am and when I walked into the kitchen I realised we had been robbed,” she said.
“Marty’s briefcase and wallet were gone, my car had been stolen - and the lower level of the house had been completely ransacked.
“The only thing that has been recovered is the burnt out shell of my Range Rover.”
Police said the vehicle was recovered two days after the home invasion; dumped, torched and then “burnt to a crisp” near Blackmore Oval in Leichhardt.
No arrests have been made in relation to the break-and-enter.
Meanwhile, Susan urges all residents to adopt strict home security measures “around the clock”, in an effort to deter opportunistic thieves.
“We didn’t ever imagine that something like this would happen to us,” she said, “and it’s important that the local community is reminded to keep doors and windows locked at all times.”