Mosman Makeup Expert Marissa Rancan Shares Her Expert Tips and Hints to Rock a Red Lip!
MATTE OR GLOSS, DEEP OR BRIGHT - A BOLD RED LIP IS A CLASSIC LOOK THAT NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE. BUT FINDING THE PERFECT SHADE TO FLATTER YOUR COMPLEXION CAN BE A MINEFIELD. OUR BEAUTY EXPERT MARISSA RANCAN, REVEALS HER TRADE SECRETS, WHEN IT COMES TO ROCKING THE RIGHT RED FOR YOU!
A red lipstick is timeless, elegant and always on trend.
But the key to wearing a bold lip is confidence, so if you've chosen to wear red, make sure you totally own it!
One of the biggest boo boos ladies make every day, is buying a lipstick without road testing it first.
I always encourage my clients to go outside and check a lipstick colour in natural light before purchasing.
It's also critical to choose the right colour for your skin.
But don't be intimidated by a bold lipstick shade. I say go for it!
Go for the following lipstick shades:
Bright reds with blue undertones.
Raspberry & cranberry.
Marsala & merlot colours (go for glossy textures)
Try these shades:
Orange-based brick reds flatter olive complexions
Can turn blue undertones into pink undertones.
Burgundy based lipstick.
Your winning looks are with:
Wine and deep oxblood colours.
Plum reds (add a hint of gloss in the centre of your pout!)
MARISSA'S TOP TEN TIPS FOR A FLAWLESS RED LIP
1. The first rule is, don't play up your eyes and your mouth at the same time! If you are wearing a red lipstick, go light on the makeup!
2. Exfoliate lips gently with a lip scrub. There are many options available, from luxe to less (but most do a similar job!)
3. Apply a lip conditioner (preferably with shea butter) to hydrate and moisturise the lips.
4. Lip Primer. This is a favourite product of mine. Apply over the entire lip to prevent feathering and bleeding. And your lipstick will last much longer too!
5. Lip pencil – choose a colour similar to your red lipstick. Fill the entire lip with the pencil (make sure it's sharp!) for a precise lip line.
6. Load a lip brush with lipstick and apply carefully. The end result will be a more precise, accurate application.
7. Your lip pencil comes back into play here. After painting your lips, use the pencil to go over any areas that need defining.
8. A flat angle brush, dipped into concealer, will sharpen and define the area around your lips.
9. The older you are, the creamier your lipstick shade should be (ie: not matte or gloss)
10. If you think the shade of red lipstick you've applied looks wrong on your complexion, you're probably right!