Designer Tips For Styling a Coffee Table
YOUR COFFEE TABLE IS A PROMINENT PIECE OF LIVING ROOM FURNITURE - BUT MANY OF US STRUGGLE WHEN IT COMES TO STYLING THEM IN AN EYE-CATCHING WAY. MOSMAN HOMEWARES EXPERT KYLIE REDDEN SHARES HER SECRETS FOR CREATING THE PERFECT COFFEE TABLE DISPLAY.
The coffee table is the centre piece of any living room that should be showcased as a focal point. This 5-step formula will help you achieve an effortlessly chic look that’s both beautiful and practical for family life.
1. Use a tray to define the area you are styling. This also breaks up the coffee table surface and adds another element or texture. The tray becomes your anchor and starting point.
2. Add a book stack or magazine stack. Use odd numbers (three or five) as these always look best in decorating.
3. Include flowers or foliage - always!
4. Top your book or magazine stack with a natural or sculptural element. I often like to use (sustainably harvested) coral which I have been collecting for many years.
5. Include a candle for ambience and fragrance.
Aim for varying heights in the overall scheme; try to have something low, medium & high. Keep things seasonal. Lastly, use a simple colour palate.